Thursday, September 2, 2010

Delusions of "peace:" Breaking the conspiracy of silence

by Ami Isseroff

It hurts me to admit this. As a Zionist, I really wish that the much hoped-for peace was really just around the corner. I wish that Israel could give up a few square meters of real estate and obtain peace. I know it will not happen. I am compelled to admit that by every indication, the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks that begin this week will be a farcical charade. They cannot be saved by any amount of Israeli concessions. I know this not just because of the impossible "peace" conditions of the Palestinians. or the needless hateful utterances of Rabbi Ovadia Yossef, nor even because of the usual, conveniently deniable, terror attack that announced the opening of the talks.

One certain indication that the peace talks must fail is the flood of mail that I have gotten of late from Palestinian peace and dialog groups, and from every Palestinian or other Arab who ever spoke out for peace or sanity. They beg me to remove this or that article or section from a Web site where they are quoted as advocating peace with Israel or coexistence. They say - not for publication - that they are subject to a reign of terror: Emails; Hints; Phone calls in the night; Officials of the '"clean-as-a-whistle" "moderate" "not-like-Arafat" Palestinian National Authority telling them they had better toe the line - or it will be bad for their organization or their personal health.

My Palestinian and Arab friends and others who have asked me to remove their Web pages and demanded that I be silent about it, can be thankful that I do not follow their wishes: Speaking out is the only way to expose state terror. My advice to all those who are threatened is to speak out, loud and clear. But it is their decision. I will not name names. I can only decide what is right for myself.

Everyone who is in any way active in peace and dialog has to have heard echoes of the whisper campaign. The Palestinian youth orchestra that was dismantled because it played for Israeli Holocaust survivors, the One Voice event that was canceled because of death threats, are public manifestations of the same terror. All this happened not in Hamas - ruled Gaza, but, embarrassingly, in the West Bank, ruled by the "moderate" Fatah and the Palestinian National Authority, Israel's "peace partners." The people who are terrorized into begging me to remove their names, their articles and their organizations from any Web site that has the remotest connection with Israel, all are from the West Bank, the land of the Palestinian National Authority, not Gaza. Think about what this means.

As for myself, I still live in a free country. I will not tamper with the record of history. I will not succumb to terror. I dare anyone of the moderate and peace-loving Palestinian National Authority to hurt my friends, the friends of peace.

I will not be quiet in order to support mistaken ideas about peace and dialog. We must not allow the "moderate" Palestinian National Authority to quietly export Soviet-style terror in the name of "peace." If we allow them to do so, what sort of peace will it be?


Ami Isseroff
Copyright - Original materials copyright (c) by the authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment